comments on KDE performance tips

Alex alex-lists at waxy.kabel.utwente.nl
Thu Jan 16 11:21:56 GMT 2003

> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 15:00, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:36:12AM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > The likely reason is that Mandrake initscripts inappropriately clear
> > > /tmp/kde-* directories on bootup, which forces KDE to rebuild ksyscoca
> > > cache everytime on bootup. I suggest you comment out that line in
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint
> > > (Search for "#GNOME and KDE related cleanup")
> >
> > why hasn't kde been changed to use /var/tmp yet?
> > i thought that was the supposed "proper" location
> > for this stuff?
>
> The reason is backwards compatibility with KDE 2.x, but I think that can be
> solved with a symlink so I will add it to my todo list. Should
> "share/cache" be moved there as well?

IMHO it shouldn't be in /tmp nor /var/tmp. ksyscoca is a cache file so why not
place it in /var/cache.

Alex.

(please CC me, i'm not on the list)

ps.

FHS says about /var/cache:

/var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is locally
generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation. The application
must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike /var/spool, the cached
files can be deleted without data loss. The data should remain valid between
invocations of the application and rebooting the system.

Files located under /var/cache may be expired in an application specific
manner, by the system administrator, or both. The application should always
be able to recover from manual deletion of these files (generally because of
a disk space shortage). No other requirements are made on the data format of
the cache directories.