startkde script modification question

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 22:04:40 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 23:47, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My question is, could we implement this in the startkde script as a
> default test for KDE startup or do the packagers require to do that
> or leave this totally up to the user ? I think we could add this
> there to make sure kmail works with the plugins correctly, because
> many fails will be the result of not having everything properly
> configured and started up.

I disagree with it being in startkde for the following reason

If a user wants to use gpg-agent with any software outside KDE (is there
any, I honestly don't know, but I would suspect there's more than KMail
using this), they may not even be starting KDE in the first place.

I would say it's far better for it to be in something like .profile, and
source that from within startkde. That way it should be available
outside KDE too, if their normal login sequence sources .profile too.

Just a thought,

A.

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org