Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Wed Jan 15 11:16:14 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 23:34, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:35, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Die, 14 Jan 2003, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > > - smtp, pop3, nntp, imap4 slaves are being moved to kdelibs.
> >
> > eh, why ?
> >
> > We had them in kdebase, then they were moved to kdelibs, then to
> > kdenetwork, and now back to kdelibs ?
> >
> > People, this "we move it around" has a cost, and its not small, and
> > its unnecessary as well.
> >
> > It doesn't matter much where the kioslaves are, because they're not
> > needed at compile time. They're only needed at *runtime*. The
> > dependencies for *runtime* are the problem of the *distributors* who
> > will probably split the stuff up anyway. Our CVS modules are far too
> > monolithic to be usable for *users* (Classic example: who wants
> > kpovmodeler just because he wants to use kiconedit?).
>
> Dirk is right. Moving around the ioslaves wouldn't gain us anything.

nothing but conceptual clarity.

> At the moment you need to install kdelibs, kdebase and kdenetwork to run
> KMail. After the move this would be kdelibs, kdebase and kdepim. Not
> much of a difference.

don't think of kmail as the only user of those ioslaves.

> CVS modules are for developers. They should be organized to make life of
> developers easy and to let them develop efficiently. Run-time
> dependencies are something which distributors take care of.

No, not entirely. Its also for power users, early adopters and testers, not to
forget packagers. Why not make life a little easier for them. You say that it
doesn't matter for developers where the ioslaves are. Having network related
ioslaves in kdenetwork just because they happen to have something to do with
network access does actually make it harder for developers.

Look: Lets say I happen to develop a mail reading program. I of course want to
use the ioslaves, so I have to checkout kdelibs and kdenetwork right now,
even if I don't intend to use anything from kdenetwork but the ioslaves. Is
that convenient?

Maybe I don't want to use the KDE CVS at all. Mhm. I'd have to install the
kdenetwork package from my distribution to have the ioslaves installed. Also
not convenient. Maybe my distributor does not package the ioslaves
separately. Do I have to switch distributions? Maybe my employer wouldn't
want this. Do I have to switch my employer (OK, here it starts to become
ridiculous, I apologize).

About the conceptual clarity: everything that is useful for KDE as a platform
clearly belongs into kdelibs. Ioslaves definitely fall into this category.
Unless it's not too exotic, every ioslave should be there. Why would only
konqueror use the smb ioslave? You can use it in every application, in the
"Save File" dialog! I never understood why the ioslaves got moved out of
kdelibs at all. That has caused nothing but trouble.

Just think of "infrastructure" and "application" as a splitting point.

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"