Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Jan 14 22:34:49 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:35, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Die, 14 Jan 2003, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > - smtp, pop3, nntp, imap4 slaves are being moved to kdelibs.
>
> eh, why ?
>
> We had them in kdebase, then they were moved to kdelibs, then to
> kdenetwork, and now back to kdelibs ?
>
> People, this "we move it around" has a cost, and its not small, and
> its unnecessary as well.
>
> It doesn't matter much where the kioslaves are, because they're not
> needed at compile time. They're only needed at *runtime*. The
> dependencies for *runtime* are the problem of the *distributors* who
> will probably split the stuff up anyway. Our CVS modules are far too
> monolithic to be usable for *users* (Classic example: who wants
> kpovmodeler just because he wants to use kiconedit?).

Dirk is right. Moving around the ioslaves wouldn't gain us anything.

At the moment you need to install kdelibs, kdebase and kdenetwork to run
KMail. After the move this would be kdelibs, kdebase and kdepim. Not
much of a difference.

Remember, the move of KMail to kdepim is done to solve real problems.
Have a look for example at the code in the kroupware parts of KMail or
at the duplicated kmime stuff in kalarm in kdepim. These are ugly ways
to work around a compile time dependency. By moving KMail to kdepim we
solve these problems in the way which makes the least additional work.

CVS modules are for developers. They should be organized to make life of
developers easy and to let them develop efficiently. Run-time
dependencies are something which distributors take care of.