Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Tue Jan 14 21:49:40 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 22:30, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Dienstag, 14. Januar 2003 21:35, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Die, 14 Jan 2003, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > > - smtp, pop3, nntp, imap4 slaves are being moved to kdelibs.
> >
> > eh, why ?
> >
> > We had them in kdebase, then they were moved to kdelibs, then to
> > kdenetwork, and now back to kdelibs ?
> >
> > People, this "we move it around" has a cost, and its not small, and
> > its unnecessary as well.
>
> ACK. I don't understand the discussion fully here, that admitted. But
> from a packager/developer/user perspective, my view is
>
> - move all ioslaves to kdelibs. Except maybe the audiocd ioslave which
> is only needed in kdemultimedia.

Those exceptions are exactly what we are debating here. You think audiocd
should be in kdemultimedia, I say fair enough - that's where it should
be. With the exact same argument, pop3 and imap belongs with kmail.

OTOH there is the idea that if all slaves were in kdelibs, external would
easier be able to benefit from them.

Those are two good reasons and by now I really don't prefer one over the
other. But the point is that kdebase is not the right place for these
slaves so a move should happen.

> - isn't moving kontact to kdenetwork possible ? IMHO moving kdenetwork
> over to kdepim semi-complete is just a pure mess. It confuses everyone
> to look for knode in kdepim, because knode is not a PIM app. why not
> make kdepim depending on kdenetwork anyway ?

Why do you say this? It has been a long standing todo to merge most of
kmail and knode. And many other mail readers are actually both mail and
news readers. So if kmail is a pim thing, why not knode?

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark