Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Tue Jan 14 21:30:56 GMT 2003

On Dienstag, 14. Januar 2003 21:35, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Die, 14 Jan 2003, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > - smtp, pop3, nntp, imap4 slaves are being moved to kdelibs.
>
> eh, why ?
>
> We had them in kdebase, then they were moved to kdelibs, then to
> kdenetwork, and now back to kdelibs ?
>
> People, this "we move it around" has a cost, and its not small, and its
> unnecessary as well.

ACK. I don't understand the discussion fully here, that admitted. But from a
packager/developer/user perspective, my view is

- - move all ioslaves to kdelibs. Except maybe the audiocd ioslave which is only
needed in kdemultimedia.

- - isn't moving kontact to kdenetwork possible ? IMHO moving kdenetwork over to
kdepim semi-complete is just a pure mess. It confuses everyone to look for
knode in kdepim, because knode is not a PIM app. why not make kdepim
depending on kdenetwork anyway ?

My 2 euro-cents.

Ralf

> It doesn't matter much where the kioslaves are, because they're not needed
> at compile time. They're only needed at *runtime*. The dependencies for
> *runtime* are the problem of the *distributors* who will probably split the
> stuff up anyway. Our CVS modules are far too monolithic to be usable for
> *users* (Classic example: who wants kpovmodeler just because he wants to
> use kiconedit?).
>
> so before we move it around yet another time, let me suggest to create a
> separate module for them. We can then map the directories into any module
> we want at a fixed, minimal cost. We should have done that years ago.
>
> The same probably applies to kmail, which could very well be its own
> toplevel module with all its branches nowadays.

- --
Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org