XCursor support (Was: Fwd: KGamma)

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Mon Jan 13 10:11:46 GMT 2003

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2003 15:25 schrieb David Pashley:
> On Sunday 12 January 2003 04:06, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > kdenonbeta/kcmrandr is your friend :-) I guess as soon as XFree 4.3 is
> > out, we could use that in kdebase. How about adding a section to
> > "Periphals" with "Display" and add kcmrandr, the xfree configurator and
> > kgamma there ?
> >
> > PS: We also need a module for setting the XCursor theme and a converter
> > for .CUR files plus a set of animated cursors :-))
> >

> I've just started using XF4.3 and I thought I would give my impressions of
> XCursor with KDE. I agree with Ralf that we need a theme, beacuse none of
> the standard cursors are very good. Redglass is big and red, whiteglass is
> nice but big. It also needs a decent animated busy cursor. handheld is tiny
> and Red.
>
> There seems to be a lot of places where KDE uses the standard B+W mouse
> cursors instead of using an XCursor alternative. I think I have only seen a
> normal pointer, caret and busy cursor, everything else has been the usual X
> cursors.  The other problem I have noticed is that various places appear to
> be using a strange cursor. For example, if you hover over the app icons on
> kicker you get the hand cursor instead of the normal pointer. You also get
> the hand cursor in the folder list in kmail. I think these should be the
> normal pointer cursor.
I converted some thousands windows cursors to X cursors and also build a quite
complete list of alias links you need to get full XCursors in KDE. kmail's
busy cursor is the only special case I found so far, there kmail tries hard
to animate a clock, even though I've never seen the second frame.

Greetings, Stephan