Moving KMail, KNode, Korn and related libraries to kdepim

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Jan 10 21:07:22 GMT 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 20:27, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> > ... and lanbrowsing and some other "small" things.
> > Yes, this will make kdenetwork quite empty and kdepim suddenly
> > quite important.
>
> If there's code being shared by both PIM applications (I have no idea
> what that acronym actually means anymore, though, since KNotes moved
> in with us) why not create an additional module dependency? We've
> been keeping the dependency tree flat forever now, arts < libs <
> everything else. But at what cost? Now we've got giant application
> moves required because of the "shared code" desire. The options
> presented so far have been
>
> 1) move shared code to kdelibs
> 2) move applications to one module (kdepim?)
>
> where's option
>
> 3) move shared code to new module and extend the dependency tree

It's already hard to handle dependencies inside a module like kdepim.
Moving some of the dependencies to something like a kdelibs2 wouldn't
make things easier.

For me the most appealing argument for moving kmail to kdepim is that
this is the option which causes least work to solve our problem of code
duplication.