user interaction in kimgio plugins

Michael Ritzert kde at ritzert.de
Fri Jan 10 12:20:12 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have a first version of JPEG2000 write support on my HD.
Now I've come across this: JPEG2000 supports different quality/compression
settings. How can I ask the user which setting she prefers? Of course I could
just open a dialog. But that would
a) be unprecedented - even JPEG currently doesn't ask this question
b) have to be a dialog without parent, so it could not be modal
c) propably fail in some cases where the save action is supposed to happen
without user interaction.

So (for KDE4?) I propose to create a framework to handle this situation.
Passing (within QImageIO) a QWidget* to use as a parent for dialogs would
propable suffice in many situations. Adding a "bool quiet" tackles case c)
from above.
Is this a feasible way to go?

Regards,
Michael

PS: The same problem comes up on the 'read' side of kimgio. For instance the
PhotoCD (.pcd) format contains different image sizes in one file.
PPS: There is QImageIO::quality, but it is never set.