Thanks for KDE/Gnome article, and new info request

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 01:08:09 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:39:17PM +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:

> "this piece of KDE/Qt calls, according to XDND or whatever, calls this
> piece of X which calls this piece of GTK/GNOME" and so on (I hope I
> made myself clear...)

Well, I mean, the Qt DND API uses XDND to do DND, and the GTK DND API
uses XDND to do DND, and thus any two apps talk to each other via
XDND. Other than that, it's all outlined in the XDND spec, but is
pretty mind-blowingly complicated unless you're a hard core X toolkit
hacker.

The important point here IMO is to kill the dumbass myth that "X cut
and paste don't work" or "X DND doesn't work" or "GTK doesn't work
with Qt" because all those things work just fine.

It's just buggy apps (or apps that make up their own nonstandard
target types) that don't work or work together. And users never file
bugs against the apps. So I would make the point that people should
complain to the author of both source and target app every time a
cut-and-paste or DND fails.

Havoc