ADMIN: binary files in cvs

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Feb 25 22:20:15 GMT 2003

moin!

cvs has the ability to treat binary files differently from text files.
binary files are special in that a) no newline conversion is done
(irrelevant if only unix clients are used), b) keywords ($Id$, etc) are
not substituted, and c) cvs does not attempt to merge concurrent
changes.
unfortunately hardly anybody in kde's cvs cares to mark binary files as
such - and this already caused trouble in the past. so i spent some time
on clearing up the situation:

1) existing files in cvs:
i scanned our entire cvs repository for binary files. they all got -kb
(binary) or at least -ko (text, but no keyword substitution, such as for
ps/eps files) attributes now (or will have after dirk finishes the work
on the server).
if you have locally modified binary files, you'll get spurious
conflicts, as all files with changed substitution modes will be
re-checked out when you update. simply copy your modified files over the
updated files from cvs and check in a usual.

2) new files:
the file CVSROOT/cvswrappers contains a list of common extensions of binary
files which are already present in our cvs repo. if you add files of any
of these types, they will be automatically marked as binary. if you add
a binary file whose type is not listed, you must tell cvs that the file
is binary:
 cvs add -kb file...
same goes for cvs import.
you may also request to have the file extension added to cvswrappers if it
seems appropriate.

greetings