Screen resolution related configuration options

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Feb 24 16:12:22 GMT 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 04:35, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 23 February 2003 03:36, George Staikos wrote:
> > Can someone please provide to me a good argument why screen resolution
> > dependent KConfig options should be stored?  I understand that the
> > dialog/widget/window is resized relative to the resolution.  However I
> > think it makes more sense to check if the stored geometry is greater than
> > the current geometry, and if it is, shrink it.  If it is too small, the
> > user can resize easily enough.
>
> It's easy to see from the above that the current solution is better than
> the one you suggest ;) People who often switch between two resolutions find
> all their window sizes again, in both resolutions, instead of having to
> resize their windows all the time.
>
> > Conversely, if the sizes are stored, then how do you deal with people who
> > have multi-head or xinerama, and even those who enable and disable smart
> > placement with xinerama?  It's really ugly.
>
> Placement? This isn't about placement, it's about size...
>
> What makes multi-head/xinerama special here?
> If I understand correctly, the overall screen resolution gets twice wider,
> but you still want your apps to be sized according to a single screen
> (display? what's the correct word)? Why not use the size of the single
> screen instead of the overall size, in the KMainWindow code? This would fix
> the problem the right way IMHO.

   Not necessarily twice wider.  One could have 800x600, 1280x1024 and
1024x768 all side-by-side, for instance.  Now the new code we have in CVS
(that I just spent hours upon hours doing), allows the user to do true
Xinerama without any "smart" code.  That's for setups where one has multiple
controllers for a single display - like a video wall for instance.  Getting
the dimensions of the single screen in that setup is wrong.

   If we go screen by screen, then how do we deal with apps starting up
smaller from one launch to the next just because the mouse pointer happens to
be on that head?  If I generally run it on a screen with 1024x768 but then it
loads on a screen with 800x600, it will take my uncommon size settings and I
have to resize it.  Conversely, if we only keep one setting, then it can
always try to restore my common setting.  If that setting is too large, then
it's easy to shrink it to fit in the screen.  Otherwise, the setting stored
was quite suitable, so there was no need to store different sizes.

--

George Staikos