DNOTIFY support and some timing

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Feb 24 20:36:26 GMT 2003

Am Montag, 24. Februar 2003 02:37 schrieb Josef Weidendorfer:

Hi Josef,

> > The dramatic measurment results from Christian indicate that there is
> > much more time spent at least on his system.

> With KDE3.1 (Suse8.0 packages) top shows 1.9 % constant CPU utilization

Top is totally bogus. Please dont use top for such measurements.

> for kded. strace confirms that this is indeed a row of stats every 0,5
> seconds. But my estimation of 40 dirs was wrong: There are at least >150
> dirs watched (Standard KDE desktop dirs + a LOT of additional Suse dirs)
> :-(

Outch.

Is it really necessary to watch this many dirs with a 0.5 s intervall. I have
the strong impression that a much longer intervall would also be acceptable
in 99% of the cases.

(Optimize for the common case)

Regards,
-- martin