DNOTIFY support and some timing

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Mon Feb 24 10:37:03 GMT 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 08:49, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2003 14:30 schrieb Josef Weidendorfer:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Of course, all STAT polls of kded are done in a row. 40 stats should fit
> > into one time slice. So kded will be scheduled twice per second.
>
> The dramatic measurment results from Christian indicate that there is much
> more time spent at least on his system.

That's why we need more information regarding this strange slowdown.

I have access to almost the same machine (a 450 MHz P II)...
With KDE3.1 (Suse8.0 packages) top shows 1.9 % constant CPU utilization
for kded. strace confirms that this is indeed a row of stats every 0,5
seconds. But my estimation of 40 dirs was wrong: There are at least >150 dirs
watched (Standard KDE desktop dirs + a LOT of additional Suse dirs) :-(

OK. This is bad. But:
kwrite startup time is roughly 3 s, regardless of whether kded is running or
not (you can kill it temporarily without much harm. Run "kdeinit" to have it
back).
So I can't reproduce this problem.

BTW: My bash-loop was misleading. Writing as fast as you can will always give
high system load. Aside from that, KDirLister has a 0,5 seconds delay (and
thus, merging), hardcoded. Neverless, the realtime signals are produced...

Josef