KAutoConfig

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Mon Feb 24 07:07:19 GMT 2003

[...]
> I believe the current way of adding support for new widget
> configurations is unnecessarily complex, and having global
> preprocessor macros in our public API that are called 'saveConfig',
> 'resetConfig' or 'retrieveConfig' is a terrible idea I think.

As do I, which is why they that header was set to not be installed.  But that
is moot now (see below).

[...]
>The Trolls and our friend
> the moc :) have done all the work for us already, since Qt 2.2: Qt
> properties.

If you ever come to the USA stop by and I will buy you a beer or pizza or....
:-D  This is exactly the solution that I have been looking for the past two
weeks.  Everyone I spoke didn't know of a way.

[...]
> Making use of the
> default sql property map has the advantage that you get the ability
> to save/restore the configuration of all the kdeui widget for free,
> because David in the past has added code to kapplication to
> automatically add entries in the default sql property map for all
> those classes like KURLRequester, KSqueezedTextLabel, KDatePicker,
> etc.

Very cool. :-D  I saw it was a little out of date a fixed a few things such as
KColorButton was missing.  I have modified KAutoConfig tonight to use the
above and the class is much smaller, faster, etc.  Many thanks.  Guess I
should remove it from kdeui and place it back in kdecore were it started out
sense it no longer deals with Widgets persay.  I will commit it tomarrow
evening after some more testing to make sure it all works as it should.

-Benjamin Meyer

P.S. Is BIC suppost to happen on Friday?  I am not currently sure what the day
is.