DNOTIFY support and some timing

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Sun Feb 23 22:30:36 GMT 2003

Hi Martin,

On Monday 24 February 2003 08:18, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2003 13:56 schrieb Josef Weidendorfer:
> > * STAT polling will happen every 0,5 seconds. Thus, delay/merging is done
> > automatically, and LINUX won't produce realtime signals like mad.
>
> Why 0.5s?

The default is 0,5 s for local files. 5 s for NFS mounted files.
That's a feature: people downloading files want to see them grow instantly :-)
Aside from that, KDirWatch is used in other places, too: E.g. in KDVI, you
don't want to wait 4 s for an update after a latex run.

Of course, all STAT polls of kded are done in a row. 40 stats should fit into
one time slice. So kded will be scheduled twice per second.

> Why are 4 seconds not enough?

Perhaps we should integrate this into kpersonalizer?
Make watch interval bigger for slow computers.