XServer memory usage: xrestop

Rolf Magnus ramagnus at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 21:59:57 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 13:20, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Am Monday 29 December 2003 15:34 schrieb Rolf Magnus:
> > On Monday 29 December 2003 12:38, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > KDE apps in general seem to use a lot of graphic contexts and a lot of
> > > "wins". Is this a actually a problem ?
> > > If yes, how can this be improved ? Or is it all deep inside Qt ?
> > > konqy uses some of pixmap memory, xmms uses much more, OOo writer seems
> > > to use less. I guess the pixmap memory s used for the icons ?
> >
> > I am wondering how much memory could be saved by loading common icons and
>
> I am wondering too, but I doubt it would be too much. How many common icons
> are there really if you haven't exactly 10 konqueror instances? 10-20? So
> you save 32x32x3x10-20 = ~60K - I mean, it was a lot for a C64, but today?
> :)

Wouldn't you need to multiply that by 3 for disabled and mouse-over effects?
Anyway, if I look at the first 5 items in xrestop for my current session, I
see that they all are KDE programs that need more than 1MB pixmap memory. My
konqueror instances need more than 2MB, and those are not displaying any
graphics intensive web sites or image directories with previews. Kontact even
uses 2.3MB in 489 pixmaps while I write this. What is that needed for?
I guess a tool that can display the contents of all those pixmaps would be
nice :-)