XServer memory usage: xrestop

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 12:49:36 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 13:20, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> I am wondering too, but I doubt it would be too much. How many common icons
> are there really if you haven't exactly 10 konqueror instances? 10-20? So
> you save 32x32x3x10-20 = ~60K - I mean, it was a lot for a C64, but today?
> :)

It's not much.

Just starting up Kopete in the systray and letting it sit there eats 60 kb.
Opening the main window eats another 16 kb (76 in total). The rest of the
pixmaps are demand-loaded since KDE 3.1/Qt 3.1. After opening each and every
menu in Kopete the pixmap memory is up to ~220 kb total. This all without
ever opening a chat window or even going online.

What would be more interesting to have is on-idle unloading of the icons in
the menus that were loaded when I went through them. Freeing up those pixmaps
is IMO more interesting than the usability loss of not showing them at all.

As for startup time: with the demand loading I don't think the pixmap loading
is the huge performance drain it used to be in the KDE 2 days.

--
Martijn