RFC on default settings

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Dec 21 10:00:23 GMT 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 10:49, George Staikos wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 04:45, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:30 am, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > > so, with 3.2 approaching, here's a bit of a list for default setting
> > > changes i'd like to make.. the format of the list is (sorry, no fancy XML
> > > ;):
> >
> > Here's my pet ones:
> >
> > 1. Double-clicking on window title goes from Shade -> Maximize.  I have
> > never actually seen someone intentionally shade a window.

At some point I did use shading quite often. For some reason I don't do that anymore.
Surely I wouldn't object to it maximizing by default.

> > 2. Konsole: only visually indicate a beep in the konsole tabs - never
> > actually play KDE_Beep_Beep.wav.  Beeping at the user just because s/he
> > pressed backspace at the cmdline line or scrolled too far in Vi is not
> > friendly at all and borders on annoying.
>
>    Visual is bad because beeps are often used to indicate when actions are
> completed as well (such as a file transfer).  If you aren't looking at
> konsole, you'll never know.

That is not true. A bell appears in konsole's tab, so you can notice it even afterwards.

I really prefer visual notifications over sound notifications. In an office you annoy everyone
if you beep all the time you're using vi or less or whatever. At home you can also annoy
someone sleeping nearby. I hate those stupid and useless beeps computers do all the time
(including those when booting, which can't be turned off).