RFC on default settings

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Fri Dec 19 16:14:27 GMT 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:05:37AM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2003 10:46 am, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > None --- web polls simply are not a sensible way of making any decision.
> >
> > How then should we decide which theme is going to be the default for
> > 3.2? This is a matter of taste, as both Plastik and Keramik are
> > technically adequate.
>
> Almost --- plastik has some performance problems (although it's quite
> excellent in API coverage, and Sandro has done an amazing job responding to
> bug reports). Not sure whether they matter in practice, of course.
>
>  At any rate, as a biased party, I wouldn't comment on what's an /appropriate/
> method for deciding --- however I object to development being commanded by a
> non-representative sampling of users, since it represents neither users, nor
> developers.

It's not development being commanded here, is it? It's about the
choice of what users see as default, there's no actual work bound to
it, IMHO.

I like the idea of a poll on kde-look.org. There is no way to reach
all users and get a 100% coverage, but we can at least reach a lot
of them, I think. More than just one developer taking the decision
of the default style.

Just my two cents.

Simon