Integrative work

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) amadorm at usm.edu.ec
Thu Dec 18 04:06:44 GMT 2003

El mié, 17-12-2003 a las 16:12, Ralf Nolden escribió:
> Hi,
>
> if someone missed the point about the current events of the last weeks: Our
> job is now to correct any impression KDE is making to the outside world that
> if someone would want to use KDE, he would be tied to one toolkit and one
> development environment.

I wish I was subscribed to the user linux mailing list.

Look, I side with KDE developers on this issue.  If someone is going to
develop commercial apps, I think it's pretty reasonable to pay developer
licenses.

The KDE community needs to press PR people into publishing:

1) that development of KDE applications for commercial ends does NOT
require royalties from the developers, only developer licenses, and
stress that this is cheap (although not perhaps for developing
countries' software houses)

2) that the use of the Qt-provided SDK is really advantageous and
provides a unified and cross-platform development system, which should
be a boon to software houses.

FWIW, I don't think Bruce's gonna change his mind.  But he's not
emotional about it.  He just perhaps has a misunderstanding.  It's true
that from a Cost-of-acquisition the GNOME platform is cheaper.  But from
a TCO perspective, the Qt/KDE solution is better.  For developed
countries.

On another note, the GNOME guys seem to have a more open development
process, and the KDE community has this "appearance" of wanting to do
everything the KDE way.  I think this started when KDE dropped CORBA.
It has been a healthy decision, in retrospective, but nevertheless, the
consumer perspective remains.

Perhaps binary releases of all KDE applications (not just KDE core) can
prove that KDE is the platform of choice.

The KDE people should attract more commercial development as well.
AFAIK, the KDE libs are GPL, and so they discourage commercial
development, forcing devels to use only Qt.  Maybe, just maybe, all that
is needed is a special permission to link against proprietary apps in
the KDE libs GPL license, and you should be set.  Perhaps the LGPL is
more appropriate.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: keyserver.net C1033CAD