How to display file names

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 09:09:29 GMT 2003

On Saturday 13 December 2003 13:36, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how should a file like "bla %2F foo" be displayed? As
>
> 1) "bla %2F foo"
> 2) "bla %252F foo" (like in Konqueror's copy dialog)
> 3) "bla / foo" (like in Konqueror's views)
>
> I think it should be 1) as it is the real name. What do you think?

In KDE, it's 3). KDE encodes '/' in filenames as %2F.
If you create a file in KDE which is named bla / foo you'll get a %2F on the filesystem.
If you create a file in KDE which is named "blah %2F foo" you'll get %252F on the filesystem.
This gives a slight incompatibility with the filesystem like you found above,
but it allows users to use _any_ character in filenames, including slash.
KDE: accept no limitations :)

2) looks like a bug, probably a missing prettyURL and/or KIO::decodeFileName.