kdeaccessibility module as official part of KDE

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Fri Aug 29 22:10:23 BST 2003

On Friday 29 August 2003 17:13, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Friday 29 August 2003 16:46, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Planned features are a window decoration with wide borders
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >  Why do you need a separate window decoration just to get wider borders?
> > Wouldn't it be much simpler to adjust the existing ones, at least some of
> > them (e.g. KConfig setting)? Note also that kwin_iii is still in the
> > branch (for only few more days hopefully), and the decoration styles will
> > need porting to it.
>
> Well, I thought that it might be easier for the user to select the one
> decoration that is called "Wide borders" than to go through the list and
> find the one(s) that allow to specify a large border width.
>
> Additionally I am not sure if we want to have these wide borders added to
> all decoration styles (we are talking here about borders up to 30 or 40
> pixels wide).

30 - 40 pixel border size is a lot. But if that is needed, that's all right.

> The only decoration style that currently allows to change the border width
> is the CDE decoration style from kdeartwork, but there title bar buttons
> might not be easy to read for people with visual impairments. Other
> decoration styles that have a clear separation between the border and the
> contents of the window (which is needed when we use wide borders) are KDE2,
> Keramik, Laptop and Quarts, so if we decide to make changes to these five
> decoration styles I would be happy.

I have developed a variation of B2, and also that can change the border width,
currently I set an arbitrary maximum of 10 pixels.
Check it out at kde-look.org

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6136

I'd be glad if it were included in KDE, either in kde-artwork or as a
replacement for the current B2 code. I asked Lubos Lunak, some time ago, and
he said I should ask here first. I am asking now - is it ok to add it, and
where?

For the title bar button of the CDE style, they could be drawn black on white
the way the Irix window manager did - it would improve the CDE look also, in
my opinion. If nobody else volunteers, I'd like to try to make these changes
to the CDE client.

> An other question is whether we allow the user to specify at which sides of
> the window he wants to have those wide borders (as those wide borders take
> screen space, the user might want to have the resize-borders only e.g. at
> the left and at the bottom of a window).

Or at the bottom only, like in the next-step style? Is'nt that enough, since
you can resize the window anyhow?

Let me know if you need help.

Luciano