[Kde-accessibility] Re: kdeaccessibility module as official part of KDE

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Fri Aug 29 16:33:19 BST 2003

For what it's worth, the 'Metacity' window manager has a number of
themes that allow different rendering styles, etc. configurable via XML
files.  For some users this might be an option since most of the time
Metacity+GTK+ libraries will be present.

There's no 'one size fits all' theme for "High Visibility" that suits
everyone, the best solution is an infrastructure and theme engine that
allows people to do easy customizations; that makes it easy to provide
lots of different alternate visuals to meet the various needs.  The
basic requirements are control over (and consistent adherence to)
foreground/background/highlight colors (and things like selection colors
too), font size and style, icon/graphic size, and line width.  Visible
focus lines are something that often get forgotten; if you need 'bold'
visuals, a one-pixel focus line won't help much :-)

There's interest in making some of these things (for instance currently
in gtk theme 'RC' files) into XSETTINGS which would make it easier to do
good interoperability and make them truly toolkit-independent.

regards,

Bill