www

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Aug 27 02:40:58 BST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:30:50PM -0400, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 21:04, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:56:19PM -0700, Robert Williams wrote:
> > > This sucks guys!  This should be changed back asap.   Why hijack
> > > kde.org for this?    And most of it is in German.  Very bad.
>
> For the same reason why we contribute to an Open Source project. Because
> these are the things we believe in.

For me, it was an enjoyable hobby; my position on on the redirect is neither
here nor there, but I'm not here because I believe that information desperately
wants to be free, or whatever. I'm here because I'd be hacking one way or
another, and a) it's easier to hack on FLOSS than closed stuff, b) I can get
other people to pick up with it, c) it's a good way to network and meet people,
and d) I'm giving something back to the community which gave (gives) me a lot of
valuable software, free.

Not all of us are RMS, dude. Please try and keep this in mind (I personally
think RMS and the FSF are harming FLOSS, not helping it, and that "freedom" is
stupid, but that's all I'm saying outside of, say, -cafe).

> > > Are we professioals or a bunch of hacks?

Personally, I'm a professional hacker, and I also do it in my own time, when I
have the time.

> > A www.kde.org blackout will achieve NOTHING. Did any of the people
>
> How do you know that? Like with everything in life it's about trying and
> doing your best. Sure it might not work, but at least people will know
> our standpoint on this issue.

I agree, but I think that what many are questioning is: *is* this our best?

> > easy to change a website, but if you really care, you should be in
> > Brussels.
>
> For one I do care. I'm not even an European, but it so happens that it's
> something I truly believe in and kind of hope that there are others
> that do too.

I do care, if only because I fear Australia blindly following the world's
example.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
http://www.debian.org - http://www.kde.org - http://www.freedesktop.org