application relicensing

Russell Miller rmiller at duskglow.com
Wed Aug 27 15:09:30 BST 2003

Hi,

I've been watching the conversations going on on kde-cvs and kde-core-devel
with a mixture of interest and revulsion.  I don't intend to start, or
continue, a flamewar, so I will make my opinions known and not continue past
this message.  In fact, I was just going to keep quiet, and after this
message I will, except some stuff that has happened in the past few minutes
has compelled me to speak out.

1.) on the issue with the web page:  I don't care what you decide, but if we
are going to work well together we must respect the views of the majority -
even if we don't agree with them.  If you feel that strongly once the
majority has decided, leave.  Otherwise, shut up.  You're not helping things.
It takes a real man/woman to be graceful in defeat, and frankly I'm not
seeing much grace here.

2.) on the issue with Neil's commits:  I am an American citizen and I found
them to be in atrociously bad taste.  It is showing a manifest lack of
respect for the fact that probably the majority of contributors to this
project are not American, and that even some who are may not agree with the
actions that their government has taken.  In short, this action was purely
political, it was completely out of line, and if I were in David Faure's
place, etc., Neil would have had his CVS access suspended right there.  Neil,
however, is lucky that I am not in David's place.

I'm not even trying to address the merits of Neil's arguments one way or
another.  Simply stating that his actions were totally unprofessional by any
stretch of the meaning of the word and there is absolutely no excuse for such
behavior.  I would like to see that text removed from the app ASAP, and as
such, for what it's worth (as I'm not much of a core developer yet), I
support him one hundred percent in that.

3.)  On the issue with relicensing - this is the issue that forced me to break
my silence on this matter.  I don't know how many people have contributed to
these apps, but I am betting quite a few have, and as such, it is no longer
Neil's place to decide what the licensing of an app is - unless he can get
everyone who has contributed to the app to agree to the change, or remove the
contributed code.  Either one will probably be very difficult, but the third
option, a unilateral relicensing, is totally inappropriate and I would hope
that sanctions would be immediately imposed were it attempted.

I'm sorry if I am fanning the flames with this email.  By and large I've
enjoyed getting more involved with the KDE community, and I really hope that
these issues can be resolved.

--Russell

--
Randomly generated fortune cookie:
Anarchy may not be a better form of government, but it's better than no

Russell Miller - rmiller at duskglow.com - Somewhere near Sioux City, IA.
Youth cannot know age, but age is guilty if it forgets youth
    - Professor Dumbledore