Software patent protest, could kde participate ?

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Aug 26 13:18:48 BST 2003

Andy Fawcett writes:

> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 14:16, Neil Stevens wrote:
>> On Monday August 25, 2003 12:18, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>> > Am Monday 25 August 2003 20:55 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
>> > OK, we'll redirect www.kde.org/* to
>> > http://swpat.ffii.org/group/demo/index.en.html for a day.
>>
>> Turning KDE into a platform for political statements damages the
>> confidence people can have in the software development and
>> *support* effort.

> Also, I am sure, at least one of the hundreds of KDE developers, not
> to mention the thousands of users, probably finds software patents
> far less objectionable than the original poster.

> Is it right to offend them, by making this change?

Sorry to reply to this, but I think this deserved a reply.

I think SW Patents are contrary to the goals of the KDE project, and
we should voice this concern, even if some people don't agree...

There are also people who think that the GPL is a bad license, and we
keep offending them too, because the GPL alligns with the goals of the
KDE project.

Besides, there has always been an anti-patent hotspot on kde.org, so
those people will already have been offended anyway ;)

> Andy (going to try not to say anything else on the matter)

This will also be my last contribution to this thread.

cheers
domi