Convert kio_tar to use SubURLs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 21:36:56 BST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 22:14, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 August 2003 22:07, David Faure wrote:
> > Sounds fine to me, *if* kio_tar still reads the file by itself when it's
> > a local archive, for performance reasons.
> >
> > To implement "reading archives from other protocols" I guess you will
> > have another kioslave read from that protocol, and then send it to
> > kio_tar, like the initial kio_tar code did. This is the only way for
> > remote protocols, but it slowed down the local case a bit, please keep
> > that as a special case.
> >
> > Anyway, the reason I moved away from ftp://path/archive.tar/#tar:/
> > is that it has to download the *whole* archive, just to show its
> > contents. Then when the user decides "ok, this tgz looks fine, I'll
> > download it", he/she needs to download it all over again. On a slow
> > connection, and/or with a very big tar file, this is a real waste of time
> > - and it behaves in an unexpected way. I think it's better for the user
> > to first download the tar file and then look into it :)

Actually it would be even nicer if this wouldn't require some special code for
tgz-files in konqy.
Something like filter chains.
Like: "oh, I have a file of type xyz, but no part/app which can handle it, so,
do I have a filter/ioslave which can convert this file into something I can
handle ?"
for e.g. kio_tar: tgz -> filesystem, troff -> html, txt.gz -> txt (e.g. rfc's
or howtos), gzipped troff -> troff -> html (man pages) and other things.

Bye
Alex