Kash - payed support?

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Sat Aug 16 23:21:41 BST 2003

On Saturday 16 August 2003 21.27, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 16 August 2003 21:13, Roger Larsson wrote:
> > Suppose you could buy a golden vote with 1 Kash (40€)
> > Problems:
> > * Tax law, especially if the ball gets rolling...
> > * Competition instead of cooperation to solve bugs.
> > * Developers might work on wish list items (1 Kash)
> >   instead of solving real bugs with hundreds of votes.
>
> * you need some trusted organization that is responsible for the money
> transactions and holds the Kash. Doing this with a volunteer organization
> is probably not possible

I can handle it :-)

(If it becomes big interest alone could be more than enough motivation for
someone to handle it)

Well if you believe the theories on transaction costs
(Ronald Coase, 1937)
	http://www.nobel.se/economics/laureates/1991/presentation-speech.html

	Do read it - it is very interesting in the light of open source!

	"Coase had found that firms do not serve any purpose if transaction
	 costs are zero."

And this is very interesting - where are the costs with open source for me
as a user?

For the product:
1) Finding a good enough package for my needs.
2) Deciding among offers
3) Getting the package

1 are done by the distribution, most do not add everything available
2 is also done by the distribution but to a lesser extent
	- Why do I get five texteditors with the default install.
3 also handled by the distribution, packaging on server or CD/DVD
Only the man in the middle will get any money...

For the service (feature requests, bug fixes):
* You can turn to the distributor - but at least I rarely do since I easily
can find someone even more knowledgable. Like a bugreport on
bugs.kde.org... But the problem is that a vote is not much of a motivation
for a developer - on the contrary. It is not nice to have "The most hated
bug" (right now bug:37780) And fixing it wont give you food on the table...
Clothes on your body...

George Staikos <staikos at kde.org> wrote:
>I need there to be a substantial reason:
>        - my hobby
>        - my business needs
>        - money
		1 Kash (40€) = close to a moths salary for a lot of well educated
			people in eastern Europe. And nothing says that there will
			be only one Kash to earn by fixing a bug.

ego?
	Is it possible to publish a leaderboard in the KDE-CVS-Digest on who
	fixed the most voted for bugs this week? Automatically from cvs logs?
	Developers will need to note what bug a patch fixes - a good thing :-)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå