kmidi state of the onion

Russell Miller rmiller at duskglow.com
Sat Aug 16 22:06:19 BST 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 01:54:51PM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:

> ALSA is the key there.  If kmidi is removed and replaced with a dependency
> on ALSA, then everyone not running Linux (you know, the L in ALSA) loses
> out.
>
> Further, Linux users not running the as-yet-unreleased Linux 2.6 get shut
> out too.  That will be the first version that ships ALSA.

We're not talking about alsa.   I've already said that I don't think ALSA
is a good reason by itself to use timidity.  I'm talking about -ir.
-iA was a misspeak on my part.

> I don't think it's a good idea for KDE to open a port and leave it to
> someone else to clean up the mess.  Using some sort of authentication
> cookie would be nice here.

Also, no one said anything about KDE opening the port.  My assumption is
that the server will already be running and it will be connected to if it's
available.  Then something else can open the port, and that same something
else can clean up the mess.  I really don't see that this is a problem.

I don't have an objection with KDE opening the port, anyway, as long as the
user is told that that will happen and what the possible consequences will
be.  Users are often uninformed, but they're not stupid, and will generally
make the right decision for themselves once they have all the facts.

--Russell