kmidi state of the onion

Russell Miller rmiller at duskglow.com
Sat Aug 16 21:54:35 BST 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 03:49:42PM -0500, Russell Miller wrote:
> -iA is the alsa sequencer client.  You must be using an old version of
> timidity.  That said, yes, I do mean ir, and the "opening a port" argument
> is a red herring.  That's what firewalls are for, and most distributions
> (of any OS) worth their salt have a built in firewall.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I did make an error here.  You have to
specify certain interfaces at compile time, and it appears that -iA has
not been compiled, in fact, his version is later than mine.

However, if you read the man page, you'll see that -iA exists.  I don't think
it's a good idea to use it, however, as it kind of defeats the purpose of
using timidity to interoperate with OSes that don't support alsa.

--Russell