Kash - payed support?

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Sat Aug 16 20:13:00 BST 2003

On Saturday 16 August 2003 17.38, George Staikos wrote:
>    We don't have that choice.  KDE doesn't have a marketing team, paid
> developers who will fix bugs and add features on demand, 24/7 phone
> support, and people with contacts to the CIOs and IT managers at business
> who can travel to their business, take them out for expensive dinners, and
> offer them discounts on software and a free weekend at the company condo on
> the beach in the carribbean.

Paid support should not need to be that far away...
(I got this idea in another discussion on www.gnuheter.org)

Today we can vote on bugs and wishlist items (all votes being equal).
Suppose there were a golden vote? (Payed with Kash)

Suppose you could buy a golden vote with 1 Kash (40€)

* The persons who solves the problem shares the golden Kash
	The reporter decides if the problem is solved and who should
	get the money.

If you have Kash you can use it to
* vote with
* pay traveling expenses to KDE events - like Kastle
* buy stuff from companies:
	* "KDE Stuff"
	* Linux distributions (SuSE, Mandrake, ...)
	* Hardware...
And if all this works:
* exchange Kash for real money
[The system needs to handle Kash like real money, trace each transaction...]

Problems:
* Tax law, especially if the ball gets rolling...
* Competition instead of cooperation to solve bugs.
* Developers might work on wish list items (1 Kash)
  instead of solving real bugs with hundreds of votes.
	I guess that after a while we wont have plain votes
	and things would be back to normal.
	(I think that every user have too many votes today,
	a vote is not worth much...)
* Money corrupts - sad truth...

/RogerL

--