OT: Siemens sees Linux desktops at 20% of market by2008--recommends GNOME over KDE

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Aug 16 18:15:54 BST 2003

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 11:53:17AM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:
>
>>Oh and btw, that comment about KDE being like Windows is such a crock.
>>What did they do, configure KDE to look like Windows in KPersonalizer?
>>Or maybe they used Red Hat's BlueCurve and still thought it looked
>>more like Windows?  Haha.
>

> Hey, don't try to blame us for everything. ;-)
>
> I am fairly sure the study was of Ximian vs. SuSE, not KDE vs. GNOME.
> That is, using the default apps and everything provided by those
> vendors; KDE and GNOME were not the only thing different about the
> setups. I don't know which SuSE was used or how it was set up, but the
> spirit of the approach seems to be that they left the defaults as-is.

Also, what I have *heard* (no direct source, it comes "around 2 corners"),
is that the study was done more than a 1 year ago, probably using some
KDE 2.2.x version. At that time the switch was shifted towards GNOME.
They seem to have developed a customized version of a sort of "enterprise
desktop" which they are going to roll out soon to their first big
customer.

Kurt