Reason for -no-stl in qt-copy configure recommendation?

Luis Pedro Coelho luis_pedro at netcabo.pt
Tue Apr 29 21:41:52 BST 2003

Le Mardi 29 Avril 2003 19:27, Guillaume Laurent a écrit :
> Everybody agrees the STL is harder to use and less well documented than Qt.

I don't.

It is less intuitive at first than Qt because it's model is different than
most people expect ( works on ranges, not containers directly ). But once you
get the hang of it, it is very nice. The containers are better designed as
well, IMHO.

The problem with STL is the different qualities of implementations. Good
implementations are better than QTL, bad implementations are worse. The trend
is towards good implementations, however.

As for the documentation, both http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html and
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/documentation.html do a wonderful job
IMO. Plus, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a C++ programmer to
have a basic grasp of STL.

The error message problem is a real one. Although a good implementation (of
lib and compiler) does help there as well.

Regards,
--
Luis Pedro Coelho

check out my game of hearts for the KDE at

http://hearts.sf.net