Reason for -no-stl in qt-copy configure recommendation?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Apr 28 20:12:31 BST 2003

On Monday 28 of April 2003 20:47, Marcus Camen wrote:
> > > Perhaps antlr and cql are not the best examples, but (at least with
> > > antlr) you have to read the source to figure out many things. (Further,
> > > newcomers to KDE/QT development would atleast have heard of the STL;
> > > the learning curve is not so steep for them.) Apart from
> > > std::vector<bool>, STL code is probably of as high a quality as QTL for
> > > most reasonable implementations.
> >
> >     There is no significant learning curve for Qt.  It's *trivial* in
> > comparison to STL.  Also, you cannot talk about "most reasonable
> > implementations".  KDE has to work and be developed on MANY platforms,
> > not just gcc/linux.  HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, *BSD, Tru64, IRIX, for
> > instance. Have you used STL on all of those?  I've used it on all but
> > Tru64.  I've also used Qt on all of those but Tru64.
>
> I want to stress this. The degree of support for the STL is quite different
> on different UNIX platforms. Some features are simply not implemented
> others are buggy.

 Could you be please more specific about this? What errors do you get when
compiling some KDE code at already uses STL (listed in one mail above, e.g.
kdesdk/cervisia)? When I asked on kde-cvs@, from your answer
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=105155654610177&w=2 it looked like the
compiler has problems with KDE in general, even without STL (e.g. namespace
problems).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer