Reason for -no-stl in qt-copy configure recommendation?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 25 12:31:38 BST 2003

On Thursday 24 April 2003 16:49, Harri Porten wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, David Faure wrote:
<snip>
> Got confusing error messages. Gave up. If somebody has a simple fix
> feel free to submit it to qt-bugs.
<snip>

The fix I think is best is to require Qt compiled with -stl and add
-DQT_NO_STL to the configure.in.in's of the kde modules. kio_smtp (and
others who need it) would then add -UQT_NO_STL to their
Makefile.am:KDE_CXXFLAGS.

That's how QT_NO_{COMPAT,ASCII_CAST} is handled and if grepping through
the Qt source is correct, Qt-stl is BC w.r.t. Qt-no-stl.

This way, we add the compile-time overhead of
#include <list>
#include <iterator>
in e.g. qvaluelist.h only if the apps is going to need it.

BTW, we currently _do not_ have -DQT_NO_STL in the default CXX_FLAGS, so
we already _have_ the <list>,<iterator> overhead, don't we?

Marc

--
If free-software authors lose the right to disclaim all warranties and
find themselves getting sued over the performance of the programs