Identifying desktop menu items

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at jowenn.at
Thu Apr 24 10:39:48 BST 2003

Am Don, 2003-04-24 um 10.08 schrieb David Faure:

> On Thursday 24 April 2003 07:17, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > What the GNOME panel does is always create a copy of the desktop file
> > for launcher buttons (the copy has a random mkstemp-style name).  This
> > also accomodates user edits to the launcher and avoids breaking the
> > launcher if an upgrade moves or renames the .desktop file.
>
> Yes, I think this is the best solution. I've seen too many kicker launcher buttons
> be broken by an upgrade of KDE (new .desktop files) or by switching on or off
> the "mandrake menus" (totally different set of .desktop files). Much better have
> a copy of the .desktop file that kicker can use.

That's what I do in konqueror's sidebar. The first time it is opened it
copies the system wide entries to the user's share hierachy
(.kde/share/apps/konqsidebartng/entries) after that only those entries
are used and I provide a menu entry "rollback to system defaults" for
resyncing/restoring (modified) system default entries.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger