form autocompletion behaviour

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Apr 23 14:36:40 BST 2003

On Wednesday 23 of April 2003 15:14, Dawit A. wrote:

> > > I think this would piss off some thousands of users. Key_Down as the
> > > only means to navigate in the completion listbox is really annoying.
> >
> > Why is it annoying? Its logical, and it matches the behaviour of every
> > other widget.
>
> Which other widgets ? It definitely does not match the behavior of the
> combobox which the pop-up completion box most resembles.

 Start the 'Style' kcontrol module, go to its last tab, and press Tab
repeatedly. I guess that both answers your question and proves your claim
wrong.

> > Why can't you switch to another input element by using <Tab>, like you
> > can do with every other widget? What makes those completion popups
> > special?
> >
> > re "Several thousand": have you seen the number of votes for this
> > bugreport?
>
> Well, they simply did not know other solution already existed. Some might
> of them not like it, but it does exist...
>
> > > Tab is the only sensible key we could come up with.
> >
> > I disagree. I've seen no other GUI capturing the Tab key for this
> > purpose.
>
> In the same token I do not see the combo box dissmissing itself on
> subsequent Tab key events either. There are just as many people who will
> complain if the current behavior is changed. Believe me we have already
> been through this.

 Sorry, but I'm afraid there are many more people who expect Tab to move to
next element than people who use popup completion and expect Tab to complete
(I'm intentionally stressing the popup here, because shell has no popups. I
don't care about automatic or manual completion, but the popup one is the
sanest one from GUI person's point of view, and likely to be used even by
people who don't use shell. BTW, why doesn't Alt+F2 completion default to
popup, even though AFAIK all others do?).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org