form autocompletion behaviour

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Apr 23 14:14:51 BST 2003

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 07:52, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Mit, 23 Apr 2003, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > I think its wrong to intercept the tab keys by default. See patch.
> >
> > I think this would piss off some thousands of users. Key_Down as the only
> > means to navigate in the completion listbox is really annoying.
>
> Why is it annoying? Its logical, and it matches the behaviour of every
> other widget.

Which other widgets ? It definitely does not match the behavior of the
combobox which the pop-up completion box most resembles.

> Why can't you switch to another input element by using <Tab>, like you can
> do with every other widget? What makes those completion popups special?
>
> re "Several thousand": have you seen the number of votes for this
> bugreport?

Well, they simply did not know other solution already existed. Some might of
them not like it, but it does exist...

> > Tab is the only sensible key we could come up with.
>
> I disagree. I've seen no other GUI capturing the Tab key for this purpose.

In the same token I do not see the combo box dissmissing itself on subsequent
Tab key events either. There are just as many people who will complain if the
current behavior is changed. Believe me we have already been through this.