Move KRename to KDE CVS

Dominik Seichter domseichter at t-online.de
Sun Apr 20 23:06:11 BST 2003

Hello,

Am Sonntag, 20. April 2003 20:26 schrieb Stephan Binner:
> On Friday 18 April 2003 17:09, Dominik Seichter wrote:
> > I think it would be a very good addition for KDE, because there is no
> > such tool part of KDE yet and it is extremely useful and powerful.
>
> Part is a good keyword: Any plan to integrate it into Konqueror as kpart?
> Introducing a second program besides Konqueror to handle file operations
> doesn't seem to be a good idea.
I don't think that a kpart is neccessary. The only difference would be that
KRename would run in the same window as konqueror if it would be a kpart. I
see no difference for the user if s/he selects a bunch of files in konqueror
and clicks "Rename with KRename" from the service menu and the new krename
window pops up to selecting the files and KRename appearing in the same
window. I do not see any advantage for integrating it in konqueror, besides
the disadvantage of loosing KRename as a single app.

> > KRename is also bug free
>
> Really? Do you want to be taken serious? ;-)
:-) Of course I meant bug free in the sense that there are no bug I know of.
There might be/are a still bugs in the code, but without reports I can't fix
them, can I ?

> > If you want to try it out, get the latest stable release 2.6.0 from my
> > web page http://www.krename.net . Screen shots and a complete feature
> > list are
>
> GUI-wise it doesn't adhere to the KDE UI style guide and this mixture of a
> wizard and a tab widget with clickable labels is horrible. And name me a
> single person who guesses what Settings/Visible Pages does without trying.
Well, there is still some time till the 3.2 release for style guide fixes I
think and they could also be done in the KDE CVS :). The mixture of wizard
and the tab widget style is just a configure option. At the moment it is the
default option to have the mixed style, but this can easily be changed to
have the wizard style as a default. The Visible Pages stuff is a bit
complicated and maybe even useless. It can be removed. IMHO this are minor
things which can be fixed. The important stuff is that renaming works and it
does.

CU Dom
Dominik Seichter - domseichter at web.de
Krename - http://www.krename.net