Removal of KEdit

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Sat Apr 19 19:36:37 BST 2003

> Of course there's nothing wrong with adding features to one editor,
> trying
> to meet everyone's needs.  But why must KDE be zero-sum?  Why must we
> remove one app when features are added to another?

Clearly its difficult to determine what features are bloat and what
features of any
system add value when you don't actually know who uses what and why.

KEdit may be preferred because it might be lighter-weight in interface
than Kate or any
other set of possible reasons.  Some people don't like to change.  The
good question might
be why did we start 3 different text editors to begin with.  If they
had always been one this
wouldn't be an issue.

Of course you can try to measure if KEdit's presence is hurting anyone.
  Other than taking up
space and build time for those who don't use it [and believe me there
are much bigger things
than KEdit taking up space/time that I don't use].

Its harmless to keep it and potentially harmful to get rid of it.

Everyone finds things that they think would be better had they done it
differently in hindsight.

That's what CVS is for :). [kinda]

Dave