Removal of KEdit

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at olympusproject.org
Sat Apr 19 20:55:26 BST 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 03:50, Stephan Binner wrote:
> I want to propose the removal of KEdit from KDE releases: KWrite is a good
> lightweight editor.

wrong. evidently all the programming you and others have been doing has
clouded your vision when it comes to text editors. KWrite is a *programmer's
editor*. it's more complex than most users need or want. look at the basic
text editors on other platforms to see how simple they are. there are two
things that KWrite would need before KEdit should be removed:

 o Proper i18n support: that means BiDi and multibyte input. Neil has already
gone over that extensively and is 100% correct.

 o A simplified interface that doesn't include things like indentation and
syntax highlighting options. Yet another wrapper around the
ktexteditorinterface that provides a KEdit-like simple interface would
suffice, but that's not written let alone maintained yet.

both of the above are fixible, but the answer is not to drop KEdit, it's to
address the audience and problem space that KEdit does with new code. that an
a move of Kate as i cover below.

> Nobody installs kdeutils for KEdit.

the real question is: does anybody use it?

> KEdit is rather un-maintained.

kedit works and has a very low bug count. i don't think the lack of
maintenance is a problem.

there have been 12 different commits to kedit.cpp this year. that isn't a
blistering pace, but enough for a fairly stable application, no?

> It's often critized that default full installation has 3 editors.

if you want a real solution, move Kate and/or KWrite (the applications) to
kdesdk where they belong. they programmer's editors, kdesdk is programmer's
tools. if one moved Kate to kdesdk then voila! two text editors in the base
install of KDE for non-programmers.

btw, i'm a big "fan" of the "we have too many applications" argument. i
remember with fondness the days when MS Windows had "more apps than God, so
use it!" and MacOS and UNIX didn't have nearly enough (GUI) apps to be
useful. my how times have changed. isn't evolution fun? that coupled with
some people's innability to be happy with ANY state of affairs.

btw, it's also often criticized that KDE's window manager doesn't have focus
follows mind, but i understand that's in development. huzzah! ;-)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

KDE: The 'K' is for 'kick ass'
http://www.kde.org       http://promo.kde.org/3.1/feature_guide.php