Removal of KEdit

Mickael Marchand marchand at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 11:27:28 BST 2003

Le Samedi 19 Avril 2003 11:50, Stephan Binner a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I want to propose the removal of KEdit from KDE releases: KWrite is a good
> lightweight editor. Nobody installs kdeutils for KEdit. KEdit is rather un-
> maintained. It's often critized that default full installation has 3
> editors.
Hi,

simple but problematic question :
does katepart support bidi ?

that was the problem before kde3.0 was released when we were wondering whether
we should remove keditcl from kdeui.

question would be now : does ktextedit support bidi, which i guess is true.
then we should have at least 1 editor supporting bidi in KDE.
so the best thing to do is to move KEdit to KTextEdit or add bidi to kate (if
it does not have yet)

maybe krichtexteditor does it too but it's no ktexteditor IIRC, could be fine
to replace KEdit if it has bidi.

this problem was also raised when we wanted ktexteditor support in kmail, then
i wrote a ktexteditor wrapper for KTextEdit. But everything about kmail's
ktexteditor seems to be frozen right now but that's another problem...

cheers,
Mik