About the whole SMTP auth thing

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Wed Apr 16 06:13:56 BST 2003

Okay guys, I'm not on the list but I just read about the debate if the smtp
IOSlave should abort sending email if you configured a password and it isn't
needed or prompt the user that authentication isn't needed and continue.

Well, I'm not exactly a new KDE user and the current situation sure as hell
confused me ;-) I just fill in the user/password for my mail account
automatically without thinking. I first tried all the different
transmission/transport options then compiled the KDE3.1 smtp IOSlave and used
that ;-)

IMHO not transmitting is okay but the dialog needs to be improved to say
something like, "Hey dummy, you don't need authentication to send email -
just to receive it." and do the right thing. Otherwise thickheaded people
like me are going to be confused and think there is an authentication
problem.

Just my 2c.