Broken kio_smtp

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 10 23:50:58 BST 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 20:47, you wrote:
<snip>
> Actually there are two servers, non of them works. I don' know if it
> helps you, but their names are mail.zappmobile.ro and
> smtp.virtualartisans.com.
<snip>

Eureka! You're witness of the bug that I've fixed:
> from HEAD: [SECURITY] Don't silently bypass authentication if we're
> asked to use it and the server doesn't support any mechanisms.

So the answer is:
1. Your servers don't support SMTP-AUTH _at all_
2. The old slave simply didn't tell you this. You've always used
non-authenticated connections and you were never told.

Good news: The old slave never sent your password over the net.
Bad news: The new one does, as long as you force it to try AUTH PLAIN.

Marc

--
If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy.
                                                    -- Phil Zimmermann