Broken kio_smtp

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 10 23:38:18 BST 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 20:47, Andras Mantia wrote:
<snip>
> Actually there are two servers, non of them works. I don' know if it
> helps you, but their names are mail.zappmobile.ro

Can't connect to host: no route to host

> and
> smtp.virtualartisans.com.

Doesn't list AUTH PLAIN or STARTTLS in it's EHLO greeting (as you can
see in the S: lines following the C: EHLO... lines.

The first one dutily responds with a "command not implemented" to the
AUTH command. I can't see anything wrong there.

OTOH, the second one looks like you've mis-typed the password or the
username. That could conceivably be an error in my changes, but given
that it works for me here, I can't see anything wrong.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to step through the changes and tell me which
of them introduced breakage for you. Given that telnetting into the
host and manually issueing EHLO gives no AUTH capability either, I
suspect the server has been reconfigured.

<snip>
> Hm, I don't understand what I should remove... Oh, the text from the
> log after AUTH PLAIN? It doesn't mean anything for me, maybe you can
> find out my secrets from there. Done.

The second parameter (which you have wisely deleted) is the
base64-encoded string "$user\0$user\0$pass" with $user == username and
$pass == password, of course.

> > PLAIN works here after STARTTLS or with SSL over mail.epost.de and
> > max.kde.org. The only guess I can give is that your server reports
> > broken capability lines (AUTH=PLAIN instead of AUTH PLAIN). Is that
> > so?
>
> Well, the server might be broken, but I don't have control over that.
> I can use two SMTP servers, and now none of them works.

I still wonder how it worked before. the virtualartisans server doesn't
accept connections of port 465 (smtps) too, so it can't be that AUTH
PLAIN is only available under SSL (smtps connection refused) or TLS (no
STARTTLS advertized).

Marc

--
The first casualty of war is the truth.