System tray - more information

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Apr 9 22:01:30 BST 2003

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 16:43, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > > Yes, I want to hide the window when it's on my screen (i.e. even if
> > > it's hidden under tenthousands of other windows), not bring it to
> > > front. If you want to make it top, click the taskbar-button of that
> > > window but don't abuse the systray for it. I don't like the idea of
> > > removing taskbar-buttons for windows with a systray-icon either.
> >
> >    Hm if the taskbar isn't present, then it's impossible to know that it
> > is not hidden though.  It could be a bit confusing.
>
> Show me anybody who is not using some sort of taskbar. You can't deny the
> fact that it's almost impossible to handle windows without a taskbar/kasbar
> (just think about apps that have no systray-icon, what to do about these?).

  Actually it's quite common in the sense that some people have very small
task bars, and lots of apps running.  The result is very small entries.  It's
impossible to tell which apps are running without doing mouse-overs.
Effectively people who have lots of apps running (ie: those who could
actually have such a tray window hidden) will have to mouseover everything in
the task bar to see if it's running, or they have to use multiple clicks in
the tray.

--
George Staikos
 ...  Yes, my KDE talk at Real World Linux was cancelled on me.