System tray - more information

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Apr 9 21:01:52 BST 2003

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 14:27, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> >   It definitely does not get activated for me.  It does come to the
> > front, but the focus does not get sent to it.
>
>  I see. That must be one of those focus policies for which
> focusPolicyIsReasonable() returns false in KWin >;).

  Quite possibly. :)

> >    I think it makes sense to bring the window to the front if it's
> > hidden, but I think if the window is visible, clicking on the tray icon
> > should hide it.
>
>  How are you going to define 'visible'? Not obscured at all (quite unlikely
> on my desktop that such window is not active)? At most 10% of it obscured?
> 50%? And if 90% of the window is obscured, is it still visible? And 99%?

   If you ask me, any part obscured means it should be raised and given focus.
That's just my preference though.

   In effect, we have this behaviour:

  1) If the window is docked/hidden in the tray, then show it on the present
desktop, on top, with the focus.
  2) If the window is NOT docked/hidden in the tray:
       2a) If it is on another desktop, move to the top, give the focus and
EITHER move to that desktop, OR bring it to this desktop.
       2b) If it is on this desktop, if it is obscured in any way, bring it to
the top and give it the focus.
       2c)  if it is on this desktop and NOT obscured in any way (even if it
doesn't have the focus), hide it.

   That seems reasonable to me.  Is there anything wrong with that?

--
George Staikos
 ...  Yes, my KDE talk at Real World Linux was cancelled on me.