RFC new Menu item "Server Management" under preferences

Tim Jansen tim at tjansen.de
Sun Apr 6 13:24:42 BST 2003

On Saturday 05 April 2003 07:45, Tim Lee wrote:
> I only have to go one place for everything, and only have to
> have one Icon on the panel to get to all configuration.  Isn't
> there already an "Internet & Network" group.  Just add a
> "Servers" category within it.

The problem with adding things like dhcpd configuration to the Control Center
is that then a number of items appear in the Network configuration that 99%
of the world population doesn't understand at all and that are not even
English words. For them it's just scary.
You also need to see how scalable it is. Just dhcpd would not be such a
problem. But imagine configuration panels for all the other 30 daemons that a
average Linux distribution ships with, and it will be.

A "Servers" category is only helpful to a certain point. A logically thinking
person would also expect to find items like 'file sharing', 'Local network
chat' and 'desktop sharing' in this category . And even worse, when somebody
searches for an option and it is at the expected location, the person will
search in all other locations by clicking through all panels (to prevent the
usual comment <g>: yes, I know that there is a search function in the control
center, 95% of all users do not and I used KDE for almost 2 years without
knowing it and by clicking through every damn panel in the CC if I didnt find
an option, sometimes twice :).

bye...