ANNOUNCE: mailman 2.1 on kde.org

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sat Apr 5 12:52:14 BST 2003

Am Saturday 05 April 2003 01:32 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Friday 04 April 2003 15:34, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Please note that I updated mailman to 2.1 today (it took a bit
> > longer than I expected unfortunately ;(
> >
> > This version handles the outgoing mail a bit differently and I also
> > removed all custom patches we had applied to our old mailman
> > (to make it easier to do updates).
>
> Argh. This new mailman apparently adds mailing-list footers (like the
> one for the KMail mailing-list and the kde-pim ml) as text/plain
> message part unless a message is text/plain (in this case the footer is
> simply appended to the message body). This has two effects:
> - The mailing-list footer is put into a frame in current KMail (because
> all text/plain attachments which are displayed inline are put into a
> nice frame to separate them from the message body and to make saving
> easy by providing the filename in the header of the frame). This looks
> a bit ugly and could be fixed by omitting the frame in case the
> text/plain message part doesn't have a (file-)name.
> - PGP/MIME signed messages are now displayed as partly signed because
> multipart/signed messages are converted to multipart/mixed messages
> with a multipart/signed message part and a text/plain message part (the
> mailing list footer).
>
> The first problem can easily be worked around. But the second problem
> can't be worked around since such a mangled message doesn't look
> different from a normal multipart/signed message with an unsigned
> attachment.
>
> I'd very much appreciate if this IMO wrong behavior of mailman could be
> turned off. In the past mailman always simply appended the footer at
> the end of the message and as everything after the closing boundary of
> a multipart/* message is ignored this wasn't a problem. Of course the
> footer wasn't shown for multipart/* messages because of this. But I
> think that the new behavior is much worse.

Hmm, I would feel both behaviors are correct. The footer wasn't signed,
so it should be correct to display it as partly signed.

I didn't find an option to configure this, so you better contact the mailman
developers directly as I'm surely no expert in the problems you arise. If
the footers create a problem, we can remove them. But you better contact
kmail-admin and kde-pim-admin for that.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Pace, Peace, Paix, Paz, Frieden, Pax, Pokój, Friður, Fred